Sunday, May 23, 2010

Just sittin' on the porch swing...

I have never considered myself a hot weather person, which is why my obsession with lemonade is so surprising. I've been to the South, in the summer even, and the combination of hot and humid just doesn't sit well with me. Curly hair goes to frizz, powdered face to shiny. While this look suits many women, in my mind, I'm not one of them.

And yet, whenever I go to the library or video store, I find myself migrating towards those stores of Southern comfort- To Kill a Mockingbird, Cold Sassy Tree, Steel Magnolias, Fried Green Tomatoes. The people of the South just seem so strong and able. The women don't take guff off of anyone, and I wish deep down to be that confident. I want Maya Angelou to be my next door neighbor, the Designing Women to decorate my home, and Emeril Lagasse to cook me dinner.

I began toying with lemonade recipes several years ago, and now it's become kind of an obsession. I've tried lavender, mint, chili peppers, and cinnamon. I've made it plain and with milk- yes, milk. I am always on the lookout for amazing lemonade recipes and delicious treats that go with a nice cold glass of it.

So, I sit here in the middle of May with my sweater on, because outside where I live it is blustery and cold despite the bright blue skies. I don't have a porch and I don't have a swing. I dream about those warm summer nights after a hot summer day, sitting on a porch swing with a glass of lemonade, and I write this, my first blog post ever.

Here is to all things cozy and relaxed and to a good glass of lemonade.

1 comment: