Monday, May 24, 2010

Comfort Food Isn't Always Southern

My husband grew up on comfort food, though not the Southern cooking kind. His parents were British, and so he grew up on roasts and boiled veggies, casseroles, potatoes, and the like. If it could be boiled, it was. To this day, his mother's pork roast is something he asks for when we go to visit.

I had to do something about this.

One of the first things that I did when we got married was introduce him to proper Italian cooking, though again, not the Southern kind. My family is from a town about two hours east of Rome (albeit they left 103 years ago) and we are decidedly northern. I did not realize that pasta with a pesto sauce was not a traditional Thanksgiving dish until I was married and had my first Thanksgiving with my husband's family.

And so it is with pesto that I made my husband a "foodie." And it is with pride that I say that today, his birthday, when he could ask for anything in the world to eat, he specifically asked me to make Salmon Pesto Pasta.

Yes, pesto is the new comfort food. My grandmother made pesto by the bucket and would freeze it in ice cube trays, pulling out a cube or two when we would show up unexpectedly for dinner. If I could turn basil into a perfume, I would do so and wear it daily. The smell of the basil and garlic grinding together in my Cuisinart is one of the happiest smells I can think of. It is spring, summer, fall and winter. It is refreshing when hot, and comforting when cold. It is quite possibly the perfect food.

All ye naysayers, do not balk at me about the quantity of cheese and oil in a perfect pesto sauce. Let's not mention my grandmother's secret ingredient of cream. Moderation is the key to life, and a little pesto once in a while will not kill any one of us (except possibly those allergic to pine nuts). So, I am happily about to head to my kitchen to make my husband his special birthday dinner, so that he can find comfort in both my cooking and in me.

7 comments:

  1. You will blog, and I will read it! :) I love pesto, too. My favorite is sundried tomato and mint pesto (with walnuts and feta cheese over penne pasta). I love that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that sounds just wonderful! Thank you!! Does anyone else have a delicious recipe for pesto?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to share your recipe Jenn..I really would like to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the birthday boy (well at this point I suppose that birthday man is more appropriate) discussed in this post let me assure you all that the dish was perfect. My sincere complements to the chef!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!! I miss your cooking!! This blog post made my mouth water just READING it!! Lucky you Curtis!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's "compliments", Curtis. ;) And yes, I trust it was divine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how we miss you guys!! We just LOVED being able to share in your culinary genius and spending evenings, holidays and making fun memories. Where can we see pictures of the kids? How are they? You should send them to our house for a little getaway and you & Curtis could enjoy just the 2 of you... doesn't that sound like fun for everyone? We would love it! Anyhoo, keep sharing! Feel free to spy on us too if you'd like. Love you guys! Hugs all around from the 5 of us!

    ReplyDelete